Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Game On

We are playing this Monday at 6:00 p.m. Sign up if your coming.

If you missed the game yesterday you are the only ones left alive. Everyone else was either disintegrated, squashed or melted. The ensuing discussion brought us to the consensus that we will go back to 3.5 edition. Or rather we are going to use the character classes and part of the core mechanics of 3.5, some of the things I like from 4th and some of the things I like from 1st. This version of D&D is known as Phil-point-oh. We will resume the Thayonestia party which is an evil party of 18th level characters from ancient Thayonestia currently residing in modern day Thay.

Over the next week I will compile a list of House rules that adjust the 3.5 rules. I will post the changes in the forums.

Tentatively though here is what I have in mind:

1.Character classes and feats from 3.5
2.Spells and magic items from 1.0
3.Saves and skills from 4.0
4.Combat would use 3.5/4.0 but the to hit and number of attacks will change to a single number and probably slightly fewer attacks. With 3.5 say you have 5 attacks but the last one gives you a snowballs chance to hit and the one right before it is a slim chance to hit. Since all will be at the highest to hit roll then you might get 3 attacks vs. the 5. Since we are using the 4.0 saves spell casters would roll to hit like 4.0 but I will make sure you have a equal probability to hit with the fighters.
5.We will probably go with the 1.0 initiative unless you like the one off initiative that takes up a great deal of time.
6.Make a core set of templates for all area effect spells.
7.For the time being, until I have had a chance to review them, all 3.5 companion books will not be allowed. You will only use the Players Handbook 1.0/3.5 and Unearth Arcana 1.0.

***These ideas are subject to change. Feel free to voice your opinion now while I am in the planning stages. I will make a thread over in the forums. So post up there.***

This may seem like a lot of shenanigans but If I am going to continue to DM I need a game I enjoy DM'ing. There are aspects I like of each version so why not take the good parts of each and make an amalgamation or Phil-Point-Oh?



http://youdidnttouchthatdidyou.yuku.com/

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm there man.


Big

Anonymous said...

Word Im there man! Can we please get continues in Phil-point-oh!

JON

Deviant Perspective said...

will be there

Unknown said...

Barring coming down with the West Nile Virus or Malaria or some other unexpected illness, I should be there this week.

clay

Anonymous said...

Sry guys, like I posted on the forums, I'm gonna have to bail due to not knowing 1st at all and a smattering of 2nd. You might want to find another player.

-Richard

philipm said...

Folks 99.99% of the rules will be 3.5/4.0. The more I read and compare the more I believe the main problem with 4 was the character classes and spells. If you read the 4.0 rules but keep the 3.5 character mechanics in mind most of the translate directly. I am working right now on making the 4.0 core mechanics work with 3.5. The only reason I want to use 1.0 is that the magic items were completly nerfed in 3.5 and in 1.0 the spell explanations are very concise. I would prefer to use 3.5 spells but there are a lot of problems there that would have to be fixed. Ultimately I would like to rewrite/convert all of the 1.0 spells to 3.5/4.0.

I will be posting some preliminary information later today on what I am working on. I really think it will be awesome.

Deviant Perspective said...

Hang in there richard. this will be "new" to us all. this'll add a little flava.

Anonymous said...

yeah dude. If you arent using a Magic user then you are basically playing a 3.5 character. And its gonna be new to everyone. I say come Monday and if you dont like it then you only lose a few hours if its something WE all can get used to then its all good.


big